Mold- An Insult to the Senses
The presence of mold in a commercial property in Central, UT can be difficult to place. Mold spores are invisible to the naked eye and can only be seen after considerable build up has occurred. These are the dark brown, black, and green fuzzy spots that appear on ceilings, walls, furniture, or boxes. Most commonly, the distinctive mold smell alerts individuals to the presence of mildew or mold in the building.
What Am I Smelling?
If you have walked through the halls of your building and picked up on a strange odor, you may be asking what’s that smell? Typically, people compare a fungus smell to:
- Wet socks
- Rotten woods
- Wet paper
- Earthy or meaty
If the area around doesn’t seem wet or hasn’t experienced any recent damage, you may not realize where the mold is growing. Spores can travel through air ducts and HVAC cooling systems, making mold growth a potential problem for areas all over the building. Mold is living organism, and when it eats, it grows and multiplies. During this process it releases a chemical compound that created the smell many people are familiar with. A mildew smell will different from a black mold smell, as each creates an odor specific to the compound it releases.
How to Locate the Source
Following your nose won’t be the best solution for locating the source of the smell. Mold can grow inside walls, carpets, ventilations systems and much more. With the help of a thermal camera, you can locate the source of water that may be perpetuating the growth of mold.
Unfortunately, the mold smell is easy to grow accustomed too, and you might not notice it after a while. This would create a more serious problem requiring expert remediation services to control. If the smell is no longer present, scheduling a mold test can also help pinpoint the problem. The best long-term solution is to decrease the moisture in the air and repair equipment that is contributing to the problem.